Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Best ever dahl

Best Ever Dahl

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup lentils
2 Tbs curry powder
1 cup chopped sweet potato
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups frozen chopped spinach

Saute onion garlic and ginger in the oil until soft and fragrant.  Add lentils and curry powder. Pour in stock and sweet potato.  Simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft.  Add more liquid if necessary, but it must be fairly thick.  Stir in spinach and then coconut milk, bring back to heat and serve. 
This freezes very well and I often save in small microwaveable containers and heat for lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great! I'm so uninspired with cooking lately...I'll have to try this to add some spice to our daily fare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delightful,funny thing when I read the title I thought it was going to be your hubby's fav food lol you know you make it and he says thats "the best ever Darl" sometimes I worry about myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree,
    I just made some curried chicken last night with South African curry powder I brought over in December. I wish we could get curry powder like that here. I always make a big batch of this and freeze it.
    A blessed life.
    Oh so funny. No unfortunately my hubby thinks he doesn't like beans or lentils so that is never going to happen.

    ReplyDelete